Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I worked with a friend in a business. She and I fell out and

Customer Question

Hi there,
I worked with a friend in a business. She and I fell out and she made many accusations that are not true via email. She is now refusing to pay 13k USD because she feels I don't deserve it. She is offering 5k Canadian. I have not responded to her email, as I am giving her 30 days. If she does not pay, I have an email stream of abusive accusations and harassment and previous emails indicating other fees owed (but I have not billed for). What are my rights in this case and how do I respond to her email declining 5k?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 months ago.

Where was the business operating out of?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I operate out of Calgary and she is Vancouver. I did the recruitment for a client of hers and she's holding back payment.

You can send her a demand letter giving her a deadline for paying you in full. Tell her if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking damages, interest and your costs.

You can then sue her in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

I am sorry this happened to you.