Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My girlfriend is flying home into Canada through the united

Customer Question

My girlfriend is flying home into Canada through the united states, from the Bahamas. She has only been gone a few days. Years ago she received fines and penalties under a responsible pet owner bylaw when her dog got away from her and attacked a cat. She has been very sick and unable to work for long periods of time, and suffering from extreme colitis and other degenerative bowel symptoms, so she has been unable to pay her fines. Now upon returning to Canada she has asked me to find a lawyer, and explained that she will be held in jail until Monday because she owes fines to whichever bylaw office handled the infraction. She said she has been advised to request medical aid while in the air for her colitis, and to go to the hospital is her best bet. However I dont understand how she can be held for a by-law infraction.. Especially when the overdue fines she was supposed to pay were something like $600.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

These facts are not adding up.

Why is this an issue now if this happened years ago?

What is your girlfriend expecting you to do?

Has this woman been your girlfriend for a very long time? Or is it someone you've only met online?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes hoping i can find a lawyer to call when she lands and the police detain her for a warrant relating to unpaid bylaw fines for a vicous animal, reading up on the bylaw allows for imprisonment for up to 6 months in the case of vicous animals. She has been my girlfriend for about 6 months but ive known her for a long time
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

How does she know the police are going to detain her?

Why isn't she just simply going to pay the fine and be done with it?