Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother has made a will and has left a house to my sister

Customer Question

My mother has made a will and has left a house to my sister only . I am not included for the house. She also has placed my sisters name on the deed is there anything I can do when she dies to avert this or at least get half the money for the house. I believe this is totally unfair/
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  soonerlawcb replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

After the executor has submitted a will for probate, Canada allows the decedent’s immediate family members to petition the court to have it changed. Under the Wills Variation Act, applicable in most provinces, the spouse or any child of a decedent can object to the terms of a will if it disinherits them or if they feel the decedent didn’t adequately provide for them. Most provinces allow for a dependent whom cannot support himself/herself to petition the court for relief, but it depends on the province you live in.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Please do not rely on the answer provided by the US law expert. It is actually entirely incorrect unless you live in BC.

Please tell me what province you live in.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know your province.