Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have been separated from my husband years and have not

Customer Question

I have been separated from my husband for 20 years and have not divorced as he was abusive and threatened to kidnap my children. He is currently in the hospital in Vancouver, B.C. He would like me to sign divorce papers and claims that if he dies I could get stuck with his American Insurance hospital bills. He has millions hidden and is still worried that I might at least get back child support payments. I'm use to his narcissistic ways and scare tactics, but I'm wondering if this is at all possible?
Thank you,
Jocelyn
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No. Is not the least bit possible that you would be stuck with his bills. You would not be stuck with his bills even if you were still together. You're only stuck with someone'sa bills if you guarantee them or if you are a co-signer.

His estate will get stuck with the bills if he dies but you certainly will not.