Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

My 18 year old son is attending gh school. He graduated in

Customer Question

My 18 year old son is attending high school. He graduated in June but returned for one more year to get extra credits. He is taking a fitness class and he and two other boys (under 18) have been accused by a 16 year old girl in their class of inappropriately touching her and harassing her. He is very upset and has not done anything wrong. He said that she is the one who joins them. He doesn't ever seek her out or say anything to her. What started this was last week the 3 boys and her and another female sat at a table. One of the boys said something inappropriate. The police have not been brought in and according to the principal, won't be. But I am worried as my son plans on taking Police Foundations in September 2016. And I want to make sure he is protected and that his life is not ruined. I don't know if I should go to the police and be proactive or let it ride out.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question Elaine.

How and to whom is the girl complaining about your son?

Did this allegedly occur during the school sponsored fitness program?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were in class sitting at a table (my son and two boys). The girl and a female friend came to sit with them. This was during class. The kids were joking around and one of the other boys said, "nice tits" to the girl. This happened last week. On Tuesday this week, the girls mother went to the school to complain about it. Yesterday, the school principal called the boys into the office. She stated that a teacher came to her and said she heard the boys speaking inappropriately. Yesterday, my son was told by the girl's friend that the girl approached the fitness teacher and asked her to bring the matter to the principal. I spoke with the principal yesterday and she said she issued a warning to the boys. I am not sure if she has specifically accused my son or the 3 boys in general.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I see. Well, since your son didn't say anything I'm sure he'll be fine. This isn't a situation where any criminal charges will be laid, so my best recommendation is to ride it out for now, unless and until someone wants to reprimand your son directly or have anything added to his school file which might follow him.

There's no need to involve the police at this point. You don't need an occurrence report which contains your son's name, and the police won't do anything anyway until someone makes a complaint which could lead to criminal charges.

If it looks like your son will be getting a direct reprimand and you want to stop it, then get a lawyer to write a letter to the principal and the school board saying that if they put anything in his record about it then you're going to get litigious. They'll likely back down.

There's also a lesson for your son here, obviously. He'll be judged by the company he keeps, and he should have reprimanded his friend at the scene, then this might not have gone so far.

Anything else about this to discuss? If so then please reply. If not, then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Elaine, did you see what I wrote about your son's school issue? I don't see that you've been back.

Ulysses