How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96455
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 6 year old son is adopted (no biological family story).

Customer Question

Hi My 6 year old son is adopted (no biological family history) . He is a Canadian citizen as I am . His Canadian documents don not have my family name , just my first and second name , and the first and second of his mother (all as his original adoption
documents and birth certificate), we adopted him from Jordan . Now I am thinking seriously of including my family name on all his Canadian documents . How do we go about this ? Kind Regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking about doing a formal name change so his legal name is changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You cannot do a legal name change at this point in time because the child has to be living in Ontario for a full 12 months before you start the application (unless the child is under a year in which case the child has to be living in Ontario since birth.

When you move back and meet the criteria here is the information you will need:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so muchThat was helpful
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Related Canada Law Questions