Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I was charged with a DUI in Saskatchewan 8.5 years ago

Customer Question

I was charged with a DUI in Saskatchewan 8.5 years ago (approx.), I did not attend court and have a resulting warrant. Approx. 2.5 years ago I was convicted of a DUI in Alberta. I completed my sentence for the Alberta DUI and would now like to deal with the warrant from Saskatchewan. If I am convicted for the DUI in Sask would it be considered my second conviction? Should I wait until 10 years have passed since the Sask charge was laid or will that not make a difference?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 year ago.

Even though they are different provinces, the convictions would be in CPIC (Canada Police Information Centre) which is a national database, so all provinces would have access to and be aware of your record. The relevant date is not when you were charged with the offence but rather when / if you were convicted. As such, if you were convicted 2.5 years ago in Alberta, then that would be your first conviction for DUI. In such case, if you deal with the Sask DUI now and are found guilty, then it would only be 2.5 years since your first conviction, and thus the Sask DUI would count as your second conviction.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you.

Sorry to bother you, but if my answer was of assistance, would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you very much.