CanLaw
CanLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
90963527

We have discovered black mould growing from under the

Customer Question

We have discovered black mould growing from under the laminate flooring and behind a kitchen cabinet in our rented condo. I hired an independent company to verify that it is indeed mould. Is that grounds to terminate our lease?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

The first step is to contact the landlord and inform him of the problem. If he doesn't act to fix it, you should write a letter to him, sent via email or fax, setting out the exact problem and include pictures.

If the landlord still does not respond then you should call the Property Standards Departments of your city or town. They will send out an officer to ensure that the building complies with the by-laws of the city. The officer can make an order with respect to water infiltration and the presence of moisture in the unit. Essentially they will look for the root of the problem and make sure the property complies with city by-laws.

The landlord has the responsibility to keep the unit in good state of repair and fit for habitation and for complying with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards.

You are entitled to file an application to the Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board requiring the landlord to fix or repair the unit. If the landlord does not fix the problem based on any of the above then you should file an application to the board.

Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

Did i answer your question? If my information was helpful, please provide me with a positive rating so i can be paid for my services.

Thank you