Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm a schoolbus driver. My weekly hours of work are 31 hours

Customer Question

I'm a schoolbus driver. My weekly hours of work are 31 hours per week.On top of that we have to attend a mandatory safety meeting once a month. These meetings usually last between 1 and 2 hours, and we are getting paid for the time attended, nothing for the time it takes to get to the meeting and or going back home.In my case a half hour each way.Now I have been told that the company should pay a minimum of 3 hours for these mandatory meetings as that is the minimum for an extra shift.True or False. Also we are getting paid by the kilometers driven from 1st pick up location till last drop off. Not for driving from the yard to the first pick up and not back to the yard after the last drop off.Is this legal?.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Can you first confirm that you are not in a union?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Non union
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

With respect to the three hours, you are correct that you must be paid for three hours of work. Unfortunately though the law is that you do not get paid at your regular hourly rate. The law is that you get paid either for three hours at the minimum wage or whatever you work for at your own wage rate, whichever is more. So if you are being paid for one hour but your own hourly wage is over three times what minimum wage is than you are ahead.

There is no law that dictates what you should pay for in terms of kilometres driven. Your employment contract would dictate that so you need to review your contract to see what it says about how this will be calculated.

Does that answer your question to?