Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

We broke our lease house we planned to rent, but an

Customer Question

We broke our lease for a house we planned to rent, but an additional charge came up for early move-in and we broke our lease because of it. However, our question is to determine if we have a binding contract........this lease was with my wife and myself for 12 months. This is in British Columbia. We are being sued by her for monthly rent until it is re-rented and plus she is keeping our deposit of $700. We question the validity as my wife did not sign the lease on the last page agreeing to be bound to tenancy agreement and also on the page where we initialed agreement to length of tenancy, landlord did not initial. Do we have a binding agreement?
Thanks,
Farrell
Submitted: 1 year ago via LawDepot.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Was there a verbal agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I cannot speak with you on the telephone. The rules of my law society prohibit me from doing so.

Please let me know if you wish to go ahead and if you do please answer my question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will have to talk to someone in person. Thanks