CanLaw
CanLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
90963527

If you get fired from your management job after 13 years

Customer Question

If you get fired from your management job after 13 years without cause what is my legal right for compensation?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

If you were dismissed without cause you are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. Do you have an employment agreement?

A court will look at several factors to determine what the appropriate reasonable notice would be in your circumstance.

Did they make you an offer?

You should meet with an employment lawyer in person and discuss the facts of your matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find a good lawyer to meet with and yes they gave me an offer of 16000.00 but seems like a kick in teeth after 13 years
Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

You should call the law society in your province and they can refer an employment lawyer to you. The lawyer will review your specific facts and provide you with advice. In general courts consider several factors including the character of your employment, the length of your employment, your age, your job, and how long it would likely take you to find new employment.

An employment lawyer in your area will provide you with greater detail and apply the facts of your situation.

Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

If my answer was of assistance please provide me with a satisfactory rating so i can be paid for my service.

Thank you

Expert:  CanLaw replied 1 year ago.

Was my answer of assistance?

In general, on the high end of the scale, as you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment.

This is why it is very important for you to meet with a lawyer in person to discuss your matter and the best way to proceed.

Thank you