Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have had a lady living with me months now, we both agree

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I have had a lady living with me for 13 months now, we both agree it's time to move on. she has also operated a small bin truck for me for the last 13 months. I am going to give her good bye money, My question, how can I protect myself ? what type of form can I have her sign that will protect me from her ever coming back.
Thank You
Terry
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean coming back to seek more money from you because you her employer or because she helped build that business or is it simply because you lived with her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't trust her for coming back looking for more money, It all started a year ago, I had a truck, her and I made a deal, she could run the company and at the end of the day we would split the profits, amount to be determined later. so for approx., she drew 1000.00 per mth, company wasn't making any money, last couple of months we made a little money and I paid her 2000.00 per mth, we now have approx. 11,000.00 in the bank account and she wants more. I would like to negotiate a final amount with her, then sign some kind of letter that I hope you can provide, and she would then have no further claims to me, my home or my business.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then what you really need is to have a lawyer draft a very simple release for you. And what is vital is that she take the release to her open lawyer to get independent legal advice. That way she can never come back and say that you pressured her to sign or that she didn't understand what she was signing.