How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98010
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a lady living with me months now, we both agree

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I have had a lady living with me for 13 months now, we both agree it's time to move on. she has also operated a small bin truck for me for the last 13 months. I am going to give her good bye money, My question, how can I protect myself ? what type of form can I have her sign that will protect me from her ever coming back.
Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean coming back to seek more money from you because you her employer or because she helped build that business or is it simply because you lived with her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't trust her for coming back looking for more money, It all started a year ago, I had a truck, her and I made a deal, she could run the company and at the end of the day we would split the profits, amount to be determined later. so for approx., she drew 1000.00 per mth, company wasn't making any money, last couple of months we made a little money and I paid her 2000.00 per mth, we now have approx. 11,000.00 in the bank account and she wants more. I would like to negotiate a final amount with her, then sign some kind of letter that I hope you can provide, and she would then have no further claims to me, my home or my business.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then what you really need is to have a lawyer draft a very simple release for you. And what is vital is that she take the release to her open lawyer to get independent legal advice. That way she can never come back and say that you pressured her to sign or that she didn't understand what she was signing.

Related Canada Law Questions