Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a 72 year old female that has had two p replacements. I

Customer Question

I am a 72 year old female that has had two hip replacements. I came back to Canada in July on American Airlines and fell on the moving walkway at the Vancouver Airport while using my walker. I sent mail to YVR and advised them as well as to American Airlines. American airlines employees were walking beside me and I asked one of them if I could use the moving walkway and she replied yes and walked beside me onto the walkway. I fell when I was trying to lift my walker to exit the walkway and hurt my elbow and my hip. Plus I wet my self. The YVR legal aide lawyer said that signs are posted that wheelchairs and carts are not to be used on the moving walkways. I was using a walker and the sign says nothing about that or canes. I am still in pain and having trouble with the left hip. I would like to sue both American Airlines and YVR - I have one witness possibly two if I can find the second one that leant me his wheelchair after the incident'
Thank you for a reply
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying that you felt because of the negligence of the staff member who was accompanying you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The staff member of American Airlines did not tell me that walkers could not be used on the moving walkway and in fact she walked beside me on the walkway as well another American Airlines employee was on the other side of me. Neither one of them offered to get me a wheelchair. When I fell another man, not an employee gave me his chair. The first American Airlines employee left me to go and write a report and the second American Airlines employee took me to arrivals immigration and then left me to push my walker by myself while managing my wheelchair and then past immigration out to the street to the taxi stand where I left the wheelchair as I was unaccompanied and got a Surrey taxi. But when we were on the walkway after I fell the second American Airlines employee asked the first one if walkers were allowed to be on the moving walkway. At that point the first employee did not answer and left to write the report which contained untruths
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No where does it say in YVR that walkers and canes can not be used on the walkways. Neither one of the American Airlines employees told me not to use the walkway. Neither one of the American Airlines employees got me a wheelchair. Because I had wet myself when I fell I was extremely embarrassed and neither one of the American Airlines employees seemed to be concerned for me they were more concerned about writing the report and leaving me to my own devices going through immigration and customs and out to the taxis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to Nanaimo right now to deal with my deceased husbands SIN survivors benefits and to the court house because he did not leave a will. I need to have papers signed to have the funds that are waiting for his estate sent to me because he was a stunt man and there are residual cheques that need to be dealt with. I will not respond further until tomorrow. so please mull over my problem because I have another medical suit to continue with as well with a hip replacement that was not done properly among other issues.
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear all of this.

As I see it you fell because you should not have used the walker with the moving walkway. And you used it because there was no sign saying not to do so and because you trusted the AA staff that were responsible for assisting you.

So I do see your facts as compelling and strong in terms of suing for damages you suffered arising out of their negligence.

The walkway would not be AA's but the airport's so you would sue both AA and the airport.

This is going to be complicated but I suspect that once a lawyer sends a demand letter to these two entities you will receive an offer to settle and will not end up having to sue.

I suggest that you see a personal injury lawyer as your next step.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask me once you get home.

And I will be happy to help with your other question and for that you can start a new post and put my name, it is Legal Ease, into the question.

Be well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Legal Ease
I am in need of a live lawyer I suppose for a number of issues including this airport incident, medical malpractice and Biven's suit in the United States. Can you recommend an attorney that handles litigation suits here in BC and in the US?
I will take your advice regarding the Airport and American Airlines
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't know any lawyers that practice both in the US and Canada and we cannot make specific referrals.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

***-***-**** or 1.***-***-****.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your opinion and your links. I am recommending you on FB. Thank you again.
Katherine.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much and take good care!

I look forward to receiving a positive rating based on this lovely feedback! Be sure to rate me now.