Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

How does it take to probate a will in bc and get your

Customer Question

How long does it take to probate a will in bc and get your inheritance
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

There really is no precise answer to this question. This can depend upon the nature of the property involved, any issues with liquidation/sale of the property, determination of taxes owed by the deceased and confirmation of final taxation assessment by the CRA, along with any capital gains issues and such.

If it takes time to obtain income tax info from employers, or to sell a piece of land or to obtain appraisals on the estate property, this can all delay the process. As well, if there is no will or no named Executor, this also takes time to make the proper court applications. Typically, the simpler the estate, the faster the process goes.

6 to 9 months is commonly used as a standard foundation for the timing of an estate matter. This would be the typical estate, with a will, with named executor and identified and readily available beneficiaries, with property requiring probate, but no complicated sales or liquidation process.

Obviously, if a house of a deceased had to be sold and sat on the market for some time before it was sold, this would delay the matter as the final sale and proceeds would have to go through the Courts through probate before distribution.

I have seen beneficiaries receive inheritances from very simple estates within a couple of months, while I have also seen some take up to 18 months to 2 years to conclude where the estate or issues are complicated. But that is rare.

Please chat back as I am happy to discuss this further.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I see that you were back in and viewed my response however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you wish to chat further as I am happy to do so.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 12 months ago.

Are you able to see my previous posts?