Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My son who is 16 just bought a car off of kijiji and he did

Customer Question

My son who is 16 just bought a car off of kijiji and he did all the right things got the vin number did a paid to have it checked it was all clear. buys the car goes to register it and seller gave wrong vin now the car he has has a lien what are our options
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

How much does he pay for the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He paid 6500 and the lien is for 13000 we would rather not contact seller as he just got out of jail for murder charges so I was hoping for some kind of other options
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear.

There are no other options.

The seller has committed fraud and so you should report this to the police at once.

And then perhaps you should have a lawyer write the seller instead of doing this yourself and the lawyer will demand a full refund and threaten a lawsuit.

The lawsuit would be in Small Claims Court and you could self-represent but paying the lawyer to do the letter would be best under the circumstances.

There is nothing you can do about the lien holder as they can seize the car at any point in time unfortunately.