Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in Edmonton Alberta. I am disabled and receing AISH

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Edmonton Alberta. I am disabled and receing AISH as well as CPP disability. I am selling my home as I can no longer afford to live here. I have found a suitable apartment type, ground floor condo to buy and the seller and I agreed to a price and signed the required documents . However, the condo board has said I can not buy the apartment because I own a dog. My dog is a purebred toy poodle who is 10 inches tall and weighs about 7 pounds. I believe I can easily have him declared an Emotional Support Animal. Can the condo board still refuse at that point?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No they cannot. If they were to deny you the right to have a support dog then this would be considered discrimination on the basis of disability.

I suggest you see if you can have the dog certified and then have a lawyer send them a letter explaining the law and threatening a lawsuit.