Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I sold a brand new and never used Air Diaphragm Operated

Customer Question

I sold a brand new and never used Air Diaphragm Operated Pump on eBay for a give away price of $900 US, paid another ~$250 in shipping via purolator. Now, given the nature of these pumps, we mounted (bolting) it on a skid, wrapped it and put a fragile sticker on it before we delivered it to Purolator. The higher cost of shipping reflected the fact that the item needed a skid. We shipped it to our US buyer.
When the pump arrived to the buyer, It was broken. Completely yanked off the skid, causing irreparable damages. The buyer refused it and filed a complaint on eBay. Purolator advised us to file a claim. We did with a request to either getting our cost refunded or replacing our pump. After a week, we I received an email suggesting that they can settle for $100 plus the cost of shipping. I am shocked. I thought when we ship stuff, our contract with shipping companies is that they deliver without alteration or material damages and if such happened, they have professional liability.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you have insurance?

Why is Purolator saying you were only entitled to $100 plus shipping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They asked for the value of the item and we submitted the eBay receipts when shipping. We bought insurance based on the item value
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So then it was insured for $900?