Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am invited with my husband to a permancy planning meeting

Customer Question

I am invited with my husband to a permancy planning meeting for five children. The mother failed her parental assessment and is considered to have borderline developmental delays... CAS has been involved since 2011 and CAS has now set firm goals and bot***** *****nes for this meeting. The mother, father and parental grandfather will not be considered custody. That leaves very few people who may want to take custody including a paternal grandmother. The children's ages are 1,2,3,6,9... The children have been in foster care since last December . My question is if it is possible to put forward a plan forward to adopt the youngest ( we would complete our adopt ready process which is well under way) , with the understanding that siblings and parents would not loose touch (open adoption). OR would we b able to move forward with adoption with custody. The infant will become a Ward in December and most likely be adopted out... Help?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. You've asked a good one. This is a very specific and evolving aspect of post Crown Wardship adoption considerations involving openness.

As we talk, please do not use details that can identify you or the children.

Which Children's Aid Society (or Family and Children's Services) are you dealing with?

You and your husband, what is your familial connection to the children? I'm not 100%.

None of the children are with you, correct? They are all in foster care. Are they in the same foster home?

Do you have a lawyer?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm still here. You have a very complex problem here, I'm hoping you'll still want to discuss it with me.

Ulysses