Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

As regarding to my previous question, since I have consented

Customer Question

As regarding to my previous question, since I have consented to be served with the Notice of Discontinuance by email (hardcopy to follow), does that mean my liability on this case is over? However, The sub-contractor show me a cross claim submitted by
the General Contractor;s lawyer(attached) and ask me to provide materials (contacts between me and the General Contractor, proves that the General Contractor abandoned the project...) . Do I need to worry about that I will be involved in this cross claim case?
This is supposed to be one case between the electrician suing the General Contactor and the home owner(me). if I have already settled with the Sub-contractor lawyer in this case, would he be able to ask me more money base on the cross claim and I have to pay
again.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I have helped you with this before. Are you asking for a second opinion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received the answer from the question. the last response from you was blank
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

That is terribly odd.

As we discussed last time, if there was nothing in your agreement said that you must provide them with everything that you had to help their case then you don't have to provide them with anything. You settled with them and as far as you are concerned the matter is closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to drag on this. I understand that you said the case is closed. I am under no obligation to provide ant materials. I would just like to to get an answer that I can ignore the cross claim letter submitted by the general contractor lawyer.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

As long as you are not party to the cross-claim it has nothing to do with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I do not understand. From the attached cross claim letter, am I a party to the cross claim?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you Sindy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sindy is my wife. I put the property under her name.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

So unless Rosewood discontinues you are still be sued by Rosewood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand. Am I being sue by Rosewood now under the cross claim? The original case is the sub-contractor suing the general contractor and me. I have now settled and completed. I am not sure why I am still sue by the General Contactor in this case,
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Because if they are still being sued they want to blame you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sub-contractor have already settled with me on this case and I have got the Notice of Discontinuance. Can he come back to me and ask for more because of the cross claim on this case?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No because you settled with him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like a conflicting answer. You mention that I am being sue under the cross claim from rosewood lawyer, they are blaming me for their portion of the outstanding amount. But since the subcontractor lawyer already settled with me in this case, he cannot come back and ask again, so why am I still be liable if Rosewood does not discontinue the case.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

OK

Let me make sure I have the names right.

You were sued as one of the defendants by Daliran. Is that correct?

Then the other defendant Rosewood put in a defence and cross-claim and then blamed you. So then both parties were suing you.

Is that correct so far?

Then are you saying that the co-defendant and you settled or Daliran and you settled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am one of the defendants sue by DaliranDaliran and I settled.Rosewood defend by blaming me. So I am being sue by Rosewood now instead of Daliran?I thought the case was initiated by Daliran, and since I settled with Daliran, there will be no more case.I do not see Rosewood is suing me. In real, I have evidence that they walk off the project. They just want counter Daliran so they do not need to pay.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

But they are suing you . They are blaming you. So you have to defend against them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So I will engage a lawyer on this issue. Should I respond/defend to Daliran lawyer or Rosewood lawyer
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You have to defend against the Rosewood lawyer.

Why don't you see a lawyer for a one time face-to-face consultation, get a little advice and then self represent. I think that would make the most sense.