Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Today I was driving down a side road, and had 2 old plants

Customer Question

today I was driving down a side road, and had 2 old plants in the back of my SUV, the tail gate was not shut I pulled over and the plant fell out i picked it up to shake it off and and it rolled down by the road in the guttter, my phone was ringing and went in and sat down in the suv and closed my door, and a van pulled up behind me and said i have video taped you littering, he was creepy, i did not want to engage with him just get the plant and go, he said he was going to call the police, he sat there I went and got my plant and put in my SUV and he left yelling i am calling the police, I went home and thought no i did not do anything wrong, I went to the police station and told them the whole story, they said not one had come in with a video or the description of my SUV, and told me idid nothing wrong, I said the video might look like i was did i do the right thing
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why this is bothering me, I feel invaded.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Heather, thanks for the question.

I can see why this is bothering you. You feel like you have had your character impugned, your privacy invaded, that you've been falsely accused of a crime, and you don't know how to react.

You're not being charged, so that's good. There was nothing wrong with going to the police to ask about any charges. You aren't going to be charged.

The police have more important things to do than go after a one off litterer anyway. Even if the other driver had brought the video to the police, and the police had been capable of identifying you through your vehicle, you wouldn't likely be charged with anything.

The only concern you should have is if the video is posted online and if it identifies you and calls you a litterer. I doubt that would happen. But if it did you should see a lawyer.

The best advice is to look at what you did which led to this. You had cargo unsecured in the back, tail gate not properly shut, and you let your phone distract and upset you too. Obviously, next time take more care and don't let your attention be yanked away by your phone.

Is there anything else about this you'd like to discuss? Did this help in any way?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Heather, I haven't heard back from you. Have you read what I wrote about the littering/video issue? Is there anything further about your topic or question that you wish to discuss?

Ulysses

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Heather. I'm not observing from the activity log that you've seen what I wrote a couple of days ago. Just sending a reminder that I'm still here for you.

Ulysses