Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had to move out of my house suddenly because there was

Customer Question

I had to move out of my house suddenly because there was mold in the walls making my son sick and not able to breathe well. I did not give a months notice because I had to get right out quick for my son's health. My landlord wants another months rent because I didn't give her a months notice. Do I have to pay her? I told her that there was a bad leak earlier and I was worried about mold and she did nothing about it. ..
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking about child support or about the rent? You cannot asked two questions on this post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the rent. And what can I do about my landlord not adressing the mold problem.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Did you make a written request for the landlord to address the mold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I did on whatsapp
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The landlord owed you a duty to keep the home in good repair. That included ensuring that there was no mold in the home.

If you made that request in writing then the landlord is in breach of the act and his duties.

For this reason, if the landlord were to sue you for more rent you can say that the reason why you were not required to provide that notice is that the landlord breached the tenancy agreement by not removing the mold. Your case is actually quite strong.