Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I signed a lease year and my girlfriend requires my help as

Customer Question

I signed a lease for a year and my girlfriend requires my help as she has medical issues and requires 24 hour care. I spend all of my time there when not working and cannot afford to keep both places. What are my rights, what am I required to provide??... I'm located in Ontario, Canada
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for the question.

When did you sign the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oct 1, 2015
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

OK, I suspect that there's nothing in the lease to give you an "out" but read it over. It's possible that there's something in there.

Signing the lease doesn't mean you have to live there, of course. But you'll be responsible for paying the rent for the year. If you move out and don't pay the rent, the landlord can sue you for the rest of the year's rent that he would have received under the lease.

There are options, however. You're free to sublet if you can find someone to move in and take over the payments for you.

You should tell the landlord that you want to move out, and see if the landlord has anyone else in line to move in. If you or the landlord find someone else to take over the unit at the same price, then the landlord has suffered no damages and has nothing to sue you for.

That's about all you can do. Your reasons for wanting out are noble but not relevant. If the landlord is the sympathetic sort, perhaps telling them what's going on will help you.

Now, I can't promise that the landlord will sue you. But if there's still 10 months to go on the lease and there's nobody to fill the unit soon, it's quite possible.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer you wanted, but I'm not helping you if I sugar coat it. Is there anything else to discuss? If so then please reply. If not, then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I can't tell if you've read my answer, I hope so. Is there anything else about leases you want to discuss?