Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am currently in an'ADULT INTERDEPENDENT

Customer Question

I am currently in an'ADULT INTERDEPENDENT RELATIONSHIP.'(COMMON-IN-LAW FOR APPROX.15 YRS.) We were separated approx. 5 months initiated by me, due to infidelity.When we purchased a new home we were going to form a company & have both our names on the title. He paid cash for the home & refused to add my name to the title. I recorded that he had agreed & questioned why he changed his mind. He stated:"I want control."
Since re-uniting it is clear that he continues to be unfaithful. When I confront him about the facts,his retort is the following:
Denial,verbal abuse & tells me that this is not my home. Pack your bags & leave.My response to date is the following: I am legally in an adult interdependent relationship with you, & therefore your wife according to the laws of Alberta. I live here,therefore indeed this is my home.
What are my legal rights in regards ***** ***** above?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking about your rights if you separate? Or are you asking what your rights are when you are

together?

Did you contribute to the value of the house or was all the cash his?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware of my rights in regards ***** ***** laws in Alberta. I previously consulted a lawyer when we we separated.My specific question is as noted previously--
What are my legal rights when he threatens to have me ousted out of the home,saying it is his home,because he did not honour his word and include me on the title? I have a recorded message in regards ***** ***** fact that he was going to include me on the title & now indicates that he wanted control of all properties.When you ask if all the cash was his, his position is the following:
-We decided after a long distance relationship from 1996-2001,that I would join him in the Middle East.
-With his blessing,I left a successful career in the health care industry, with the joint understanding that I did not have to work unless I wished.
-He prides himself on being able to pay "his' cash for any major purchases.
-My understanding is that when any wealth is accumulated within the time of cohabitation,that it is considered to be 'our monies.'
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Did you register your relationship with vital statistics?