Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I had t o close my restaurant because it didn't make money,

Customer Question

I had t o close my restaurant because it didn't make money, but I wanted to continue catering and selling baking from my home. The health unit step in and said this is not allowed in home. I registered for a vendor show to sell baking and promote myself and for this I had to get a special permit in Ontario and was not allowed to sell preserved products unless tested in an approved test kitchen with someone else's recipes. The only one's that do not have to go through the health unit laws are non profit. So my question is can I set up a non profit organization run it like a business to continue to sell my baking and offer my catering services by following the rules having a board of directors incorporating, by-laws, keeping a set of books for expenses and fundraisers and "administration fees" and can these fees be paid to a director such as myself. Many non profit organizations hire staff.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if you can pay yourself as an employee if you are a not-for-profit corporation or are you asking about the health unit related issues? I can help with the former but not the latter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the question - can I pay myself if I'm a not for profit corp, example administration fees or is there another way. Do I run into any other legal issues should I decide to set up as a not for profit.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I did some research on this topic and it is more complicated than I think can be responsibly answered online.

So I am going to opt out and perhaps another expert will feel differently.