Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a homemaker. I saw online a job posting mystery

Customer Question

hello,
I am a homemaker. I saw online a job posting for a mystery shopper. I responded and the result has been they would like my services, and emails have gone back and forth. They forwarded me a cheque and said after I receive this mail, they will give me instructions on what the job entails. The cheque was large, and the next step I believe is mystery shopping moneygram services mentioned quickly in their last email, saying let us know when cheque has been deposited. I am nervous, and wonder if this could be a money laundering scheme?? should I back out and return funds? What would you do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This would not be a money laundering scheme.

There are some mystery shopping companies that are legitimate. Other mystery shopper companies that are scams. So it could be that you are a victim of a scam.

The way that works is that the company gives you a cheque. You deposit the cheque into the bank. Then you give the company directly or indirectly some of that money back. Then a while later you find out from your bank that the cheque actually was not bona fide. You then owe the bank the money and that company has some of your money.

I can't know whether this is a legitimate mystery shopper company or a scam.

If the cheque is very large it would not make any sense. In fact it doesn't make sense for you to get any money upfront. Usually when you do a mystery shopping job you get paid after.

In any event, you should take the cheque to the bank, tell them what is going on, and them to check for you to see if the check is legitimate and asked them to hold the cheque for as long as they need to so that they can never come back to you later tell me the chequebwas not bond fide.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do, now thing is, -I did deposit the cheque though, and it seems to have cleared however I am still nervous of the next step...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which I believe may be to forward the moneys (less what they say they are paying me) through a banking institution..
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

So this is a scam. I have no doubt about it.

I suggest you make an appointment to speak to the manager of the bank, tell them what is going on and tell them you believe you are a victim of the scam.

For sure do not take out any of that money and most assuredly don't forward them any money.

That is not how mystery shopping works at all. A friend of mine was a mystery shopper and actually a lawyer and I saw how it worked and he never, ever had to pay them money.

He submitted his expenses with receipts and was reimbursed afterward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was once a legitimate mystery shopper which is why I was interested in the first place. They also never gave me up front money, but instead I kept track of expenses etc. and then submitted them, and they sent me a pay cheque monthly. I was wondering why they hadn t asked me questions about what department stores, or shops I was close to or restaurants etc. ( that should of been a red flag) or if I had a vehicle & transportation and such. Thank you for your help, & although honestly could not really afford the 44. It is peace of mind and now I know how to proceed. -thank you ever so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for you to mail me our conversation - or is that not a good idea? If my husband asks, I want to tell him where I went for advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or will you keep a record of it, since I have an account ? now..
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can print this off or send the conversation to yourself.

I believe what you do is that once you rate me there will be some button that you can hover your mouse over and it says share. Then you can choose to email the conversation or print it off.

If that doesn't work let me know, after you rated me and then I can message customer service for you. I cannot do that until after you rate me because when I do that the post will lock.

Thanks