Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband and l have been seperated since 2007.he changed

Customer Question

my husband and l have been seperated since 2007.he changed locks on our home and moved his girlfriend in.my gain was an empty lot which l sold for 95000 in 2009. in 2012 l loost my job of 37 years.l went back to school and grauated in 2013.l have not found a job so things are tight..my ex turns 65 in feb 2016. am l entitled to any of his pension?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What province are you in?

How long were you married for?

Is there a separation agreement?

Are you asking about CPP?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in Ontario..married for 12 years.no seperation agreement.l am asking about any possible benefit
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunate, you are too late to make any claim to any asset that is in your spouse's name. You had to bring an application to make claim to any of his assets, including a pension, within six years of the separation or two years if you had gotten divorced.

You are entitled to make a claim for a credit spill eith CPP. You do not need an agreement for this in Ontario.

I suggest you contact CPP now as the credit splitting process takes many months.