Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I bought a vehicle 5 weeks ago private sale. the owner never

Customer Question

I bought a vehicle 5 weeks ago private sale. the owner never disclosed the vehicle was salvaged at any point in time. Car was a 2012 ford escape and I paid $14,250 for it. There was also no mention of the salvage status on the bill of sale.
I took the car and had it registered and insured and been driving the car. I received a letter on saturday informing me that my car has was a salvage vehicle and I am not to drive it without an inspection. I have parked the car and got a rental to drive as I am a realtor and a vehicle is important.
Had I known it was salvage I would not have purchased it. I have contacted the seller and we are meeting tomorrow to discuss this. At this point I really want a full refund. What are my options?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The seller has to give you a full refund and take the car back.

This was a material mis-representation to the point it sounds like fraud.

Tell the seller if he/she does not give you a full refund you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking damages for inconvenience, for out of pocket expenses such as the rental, interest and your costs.

You can sue the seller in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Met with him and guess am going to court as he refused to refund. I did a Google search and his license as a dealer to sell vehicles was revoked in 2013 for fraudulent practice. He later appealed and it was denied.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Well keep that information handy and when you are in court you can raise it when questioning him.

I am so sorry this happened to you.