Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex left the house 5 months ago and he left behind boxes

Customer Question

My ex left the house 5 months ago and he left behind boxes of old business receipts from a business he owned 10 yrs ago. I have contacted him on 3 separate occassions and I finally had enough and shredded the documents ( home shredder). He finally contacted me today and when i advised him of what I have done he is threatening legal action and stating I placed his identity at risk>??? He left the home he gave me the keys he came and picked up items after the fact on 3 separate occassions in the summer and did not take these documents. Apparently he needs them...I would not know that and I got rid of them. Can he take legal action?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are there any legal proceedings started for the family law matters?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no family law we were common law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

He can sue you if he wishes. You cannot stop him from doing that.

But he is not going to succeed.

You have him more than enough chances to get the documents and in fact wanted him to do so. And he has even been back to your house on several occasions.

Those items were abandoned by him.

As well, his allegations are nonsense. You shredded the documents so there is no risk and he doesn't need the after 10 years.

I suggest you simply ignore him.