Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have a question regarding condition 51 immigrant to

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question regarding condition 51 for new immigrant to Canada. My spouse left me and my son (10 months old baby) abandoning both of us a few months ago and he hasn't been in Canada for too long,, He hasn't lived with me either for 2 years since
landing as a permanent resident on july 2nd 2013. I sponsored him in 2012. I would like to know the requirement of condition 51, specifically where it says: The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose APPLICATIONS are received on or after
October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force. Does this mean the application received by CIC immigration INSIDE Canada where it was initially sent to or the outside cic office where the case was processed? Because I sent my application to CIC
mississauga in August 2012 first , however did not receive AOR from outside of Canada CIC Office until December 2012. I would really appreciate your assistance. Would condition 51 apply to my spouse or not? Thank you!
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

It would not apply to your spouse.

The application was received before the cut off period.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.