Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had a bylaw offense that I went to court. My dog attacked

Customer Question

Hi, i had a bylaw offense that I went to court for yesterday. My dog attacked two dogs last April resulting in $1000 in vet bills. I paid the bills, dealt with Animal control and was prepared to face the consequences of paying fines for the bylaw violation. i was charged with allowing my dog to be off leash and allowing my dog to bite another dog. Well to my surprise one of the ways in which I am being penalized is by being held legally responsible for her behavior for the next 12 months. In other words, she is on "probation" and I (the judges words) "will go to jail" if there if she commits another offense. This gives me no choice but to put her down. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another important factor is that she was not off leash, but she managed to slip out of her haltie and collar.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Why does that mean you have to put her down? I'm not following.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she has another incident with another dog I am criminally responsible. Put her down as in euthanized. I'm not willing to take a risk, say if I travel and someone else needs to care for her. I cannot give her away either, I'm legally tied to her. I'm not willing to face jail time for my dog. Can I dispute that part or is it even worth it.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Was the mention of jail actually in the order? You would certainly not go to jail. This is not an offence punishable by jail so that doesn't make any sense.

There's no way that the judge was thinking that you had to put the dog down. The Judge wanted to scare you. But if you show that you have taken steps to ensure that your dog does not bite anyone or any dog that is all you can be expected to do. People in Canada do not go to jail because their dog bites another dog. People in Canada don't even go to jail for major crimes these days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told me to read the "act" or whatever it is "carefully because next time you'll be in criminal court and you will go to jail. Perhaps I should wait until the papers that are being mailed to me regarding this case are in my hands and I can send an image of them to you and you can advise me from there?!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A criminal record is also my fear. I live a pretty high quality life and a record is not an option! I also feel that because she is a pitbull bread I'm being discriminated against.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

That threat is preposterous.

OK

Get the papers and then post back.