Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was living and married down in Texas. I recently left my

Customer Question

I was living and married down in Texas. I recently left my wife and moved up here. she has petioned for a divroce in Texas and is asking for a lot more as far as assets than w originally agreed. My main question is if she gets awarded more of a judgement of assets than I like and if I decide not to honor the judgement through the Texas courts could they garnish my waged or put my claim in collection up here in Canada and would it have an adverse effect on my credit here in Canada or get me in any trouble with the court system here in Nova Scotia? Could you also tell me if it could effect my travel to the U.S at some point and time?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If your former spouse seeks to enforce a judgment in Nova Scotia that she obtained in Texas, she will be able to do so.

She simply has to register the order or judgment with the court and then it will have the same force and effect as if she obtained the judgment in Nova Scotia.

It is not wise to rely on the fact that you are living in another jurisdiction. Rather, you should defend her application in court in Texas.

This will not affect your ability to travel anywhere as it is a civil matter.