Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Our soccer team has been in a soccer league 3 years now.

Customer Question

Hello, Our soccer team has been in a soccer league for over 3 years now. However, they would only receive cash from all teams, and would not provide us with a receipt. I believe that this soccer league is not a registered business and they are not tax reporting their profit.
I would like to know if this soccer league is paying tax from the cash that they receive from all teams every season. We ran into big problem with this league and we are ready to sue this organization.
More info will be given upon contact
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Why does the issue of whether they are paying taxes make a difference in terms of your suing them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are profitting over $8000+ just in cash and we feel like they should be a registered business in order to profit that much money. Can I sue them for not giving us a receipt and not paying tax from our profit?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You cannot sue them for not giving you a receipt. You can tell them that you won't pay them any more money until they give you a receipt and if all of the teams say this to them then maybe they will stop.

You can't sue them for not paying taxes because it has nothing to do with you. They're not paying taxes is not causing your damages. You can report them to the CRA if you wish though.