Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Do Statutory Declarations have an expiry date? This is in

Customer Question

Do Statutory Declarations have an expiry date? This is in Ontario.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I'm not really clear about what you mean.

Please set out the facts and a basic way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My brother-in-law is a contractor. The declarations are from him to the builder of homes. These are done so can get paid by the builder. The builder said they need to be redone to get paid because the the Declaration has expired. He paid a lot of money to have them done, and now they say he needs to do them again.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Statutory declarations are sworn statements. They are valid for all time.

As well, your brother-in-law certainly shouldn't have to pay a lot of money for them. If the builder insists on having them done again your brother-in-law does not need to see a lawyer. He just simply has to have those statements sworn in front of a notary, or can go to courthouse and get a clerk there to swear at them and I don't even think they charge anything.