Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I run a Canadian Company and need to get a subpoena .com

Customer Question

I run a Canadian Company and need to get a subpoena for escrow.com for the banking details of the other party, they failed to fully delivery the goods after the payment was released. I want to use the bank details to call their bank in Singapore to ask them what they can do. (Hopefully freeze the funds atleast, but most likely nothing). Then if it comes to it I will fly to Singapore and get a local lawyer there to help me pursing the other party and recover what I can. Would you be able to advise if this is the right strategy?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No it's not the right strategy. It's never going to work.

What you have to do is sue the person who owes you the money. While you are doing that your lawyer can apply to have all of the assets frozen. Once you get a judgment you can have the assets seized.

The bank will absolutely not do anything that you ask terms of freezing accounts. They will need a court order. They don't have the authority to do otherwise and that makes sense. Imagine if the bank would always freeze someone's assets when someone else asked them to!

So if this is all happening in Singapore then your next dyeo would be to retain a lawyer in Singapore.