Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a business in which I employ someone who is being

Customer Question

I have a business in which I employ someone who is being sued by CRA. In October of 2014 my company was sent requirement to pay papers to me if I paid the employee after that date. Due to an address change I did not even see those papers until February of 2015. The employee was being paid up until February and then quit his job by his own volition. My question is, am I know going to be on the hook for the money I paid my employee? Follow up question.....Can I tank my current business and start a new one to avoid paying for this employee?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you heard from the CRA yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CRA recently contacted me and they want to review my financial records. This case may be even more complex because it seems as though they might try to put me on the hook for even more money I paid this employee prior to recieving the papers in October of 2014.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is a very difficult situation.

You are going to have to prove that you never got their notice of garnishment.

If you can prove this you will be OK.

And given that your address changed you can likely show you had no idea about these papers, never saw them, were never told about them etc.

If they look like they are going after you then your best next step would be to retain a lawyer to deal with them as they will more likely listen to a lawyer especially if the lawyer threatens a lawsuit if necessary.