Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I just got charged with concealed weapon and possession of

Customer Question

I just got charged with concealed weapon and possession of marijuana. I'm 17. What might I be sentenced with?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 year ago.

Your sentence will depend on a number of things, including the quantity of marijuana, the type of weapon, the reason you had the weapon, whether you have any previous criminal charges, and other such matters. Assuming you have no record, minimal marijuana, and the weapon is something non-serious, you very likely will not face jail time. If, however, there was a lot of marijuana, the weapon was serious (e.g. a knife), and you have a prior criminal record, you could be facing a few weeks or more in jail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a spring assisted folding knife, I dint have a good reason for having it, I bought it on eBay because I thought it was cool, I had about an ounce of marijuana but it was only twigs and leaves. I have no previous record.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be a good reason for having the knife?

Protection is generally a logical reason for one to carry a knife, though if you just bought it because you thought it would be cool, at least that's better than buying it for the purpose of using it on someone to cause harm

From what you've told me, if you plead guilty the Crown likely would not be looking for any jail time; they'd likely look for a conviction against you though it would be a youth record rather than an adult criminal record

Hopefully that answers your question.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you.