Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

LEGAL GUARDIAN AND TRUSTEE OF MY SISTER. WHEN SHE WAS 4 MY

Customer Question

I AM THE LEGAL GUARDIAN AND TRUSTEE OF MY SISTER. WHEN SHE WAS 4 MY MOM RE-MARRIED AND SINCE THEN THEY'VE USED MY STEP-FATHERS LAST NAME FOR HER. SHE IS NOW 49 AND I AM TOLD THAT SHE NEEDS TO GET HER NAME CHANGED "LEGALLY" I HAVE THE APPLICATION. CAN I FILL IT OUT ON HER BEHALF AS SHE IS LOW FUNCTIONING AND HAS LITTLE COMPREHENSION.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

When you say you were legal guardian for your sister, do you mean that the court has appointed you as legal guardian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all her documents are in my step-fathers name EXCEPT her birth certificate. I was advised that unless this is changed, I could be in trouble ??? I'm not sure how... but there it is. So I'm anxious to resolve this asap
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can do whatever she could do if she is mentally competent.

Here is a link to the information you need for doing a legal name change:

https://www.servicealberta.ca/1490.cfm

When you go to the registry agent office you should bring all the information that proves you are the legal guardian as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It states something about being a "legal guardian" of a child - I am a legal guardian of a dependent adult. That's why I'm questioning this process. Can I still apply on her behalf?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You can.

This is not a name change for an adult.

You apply as if you were your sister, applying for the name change.

But then you sign your name as her legal guardian and you provide the documentation that proves it.