Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have been living with my mother in her home since 2010.

Customer Question

I have been living with my mother in her home since 2010. She had knee surgery in 2010, which got infected and caused many serious complications. At on point they were not sure she would survive.
I had to take almost 3 years off work to care for her, as she needed round the clock care.
I had to cash in my savings and investments to survive on during that time.
I returned to work once we got her back on her feet, and assumed paying most of the bills in the home.
My mother promised me that she would leave me the house due to all I had given up and had done for her.
Sadly, she is now dealing with pancreatic cancer now. I am still the one who takes her to all her appointments and is her caregiver.
I should mention that I do have a brother that did not and does not help during her illness. He will occasionally travel with us when we have to go out of town to a dr. appt. for her, but that's it.
Now, when I ask her if she will make the house giving official, she says don't worry, my old will made years ago says its 50/50 between you and your brother, so you just need to stay in the house and you will be fine.
Do I have any rights in this matter? My brother is already talking about selling the house.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

You certainly will have rights to at least your share.

But what do you want to have happen? What province are you in?

Tom