Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Writing on behalf of my husband Dale..He got into a car

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** writing on behalf of my husband Dale..He got into a car accident with his nephew on June 9th/14 Cody ran a stop sign and dale swerved ton miss, but couldn't move any further and hit Cody head on....Dale didn't have insurance at the time, so Cody is suing Dale and his insurance company for a million dollars is there ANY way we could get help? we've tried legal aid and all the other places, but they say they only do small claims ...? thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there are no resources to obtain representation for your husband for free.

Legal aid doesn't actually do small claims court. Legal aid only helps in criminal and family matters in Ontario.

If your husband has assets then it is likely his best approach to obtain a loan to be able to pay a lawyer because self representation for this amount of money is very dangerous.

If he doesn't have any assets then it may be best for him to consider declaring bankruptcy and he should then consult with a trustee in bankruptcy face to face as his best next step.