Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How many years do I have to be responsible family since they

Customer Question

how many years do I have to be responsible for my family since they came here in Canada?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Expert_James replied 1 year ago.

This is a Canada immigration law question, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, this is the US immigration topic area. Canada has its own legal section. I will transfer the question to that area. It takes some time, so please be patient as I do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

Please do not respond until your question is moved. Otherwise it delays your question being transferred.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello

Again, please do not respond until the question has been moved to the appropriate topic area. As I mentioned, it might take some time. Or you can ask that this question be closed, and then post a new question in CANADA LAW.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry but I did not get answer to my question
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This question is now on the Canada Law list.

Did you sponsor your spouse and children to Canada?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what is going on exactly. This question just came back on the open list but I don't see a reply. I'm very sorry about that. If you did reply could you please try once again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sponsored them to come here in Canada.They came here last October 17,2013
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Generally, you have to support your spouse for three years and you have to support your children for 10 years.

That would start from October 17, 2013.

But that is just for the immigration side of things. There is a family law component that would kick in if you separate. So you cannot assume that you do not have to support your spouse once a three years past and that you do not have to support your children for more than 10 years. It would depend on many factors including how long you been married for, how old the children are, whether the children are adults that dependent by reason of full-time attendance at school etc.