Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Company let me go before my 90 day probation had completed.

Customer Question

Company let me go before my 90 day probation had completed. I left a six figure job to go there and did not make any mistakes, certainly not anything to get fired. They said it was better for both of us in the long run??? What are my options. They are a U.S. Company private. They are offering me 2 months severance if I sign the release by the 12th. I also lost a $10g signing bonus. My Bo's had a formal meeting with me two weeks ago that she wasn't happy. Said I need to work on organization, company strategy and communication. Did everything she asked over the past two weeks. Then let go..
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Did they lure you away from your former job?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard about the job and contacted them inquiring about it. It was not through a head hunter
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Did they know you had this other lucrative job and at the same time really encourage you to leave of did you just apply and they hired you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They knew about my other job but it too was a knew job. I worked with colgate for 14 years then took a job with Materne and the week before I got hired the boss got let go. the new boss was crazy and I had to get out. contacted Clif, then knew my story and that I was willing to leave hiring paying job for their opportunity.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. I was trying to figure out how you can sue them successfully for damages. But I don't see how you can.

The law is that in the first three months, in most cases, an employee can be dismissed for no reason at all, immediately and without any termination pay.

The main exceptions to this is if there is a fixed term employment contract or if the employee was lured away from another job.

But I don't see your case as falling within these exceptions unfortunately.

I am so sorry this happened and also that this is not at all what you were hoping to hear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I collect unemployment being let go without cause?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

It is only when you are dismissed for cause that you cannot collect EI.