Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

BMO Nesbit Burns is refusing to return my RRSP. I just

Customer Question

BMO Nesbit Burns is refusing to return my RRSP. I just received a message from their Ombudsman that he can not help as either there is legal action between them and me (No) or their is some kind of court order. I asked for a copy of the first page of the order showing the court number. No reply.
If there was an order in 2005 or so, a non-depletion order, when would it expire?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

in Ontario there is no limitation period in terms of the enforcement of a judgment. In other words judgments do not expire in Ontario.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The next question is, what do I do next? A cease and desist order? Some kind of court order requesting they provide details of why they are refusing (with documentation) my request? A small claims suit to get compensated for the 1/4 percent interest on my funds for 10 years? Obviously, it is in their best interest to hold my funds at 1/4 percent per year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then, what is a non-depletion order? Does it give the right to freeze my funds preventing me from paying ordinary bills?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What happened with the family law proceeding after this order was made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
resolved within months
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Will your former spouse agree to the order being dispensed?