Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother inlaw was named beneficiary in 1997 wifes work

Customer Question

My mother inlaw was named beneficiary in 1997 for my wifes work life insurance we were married in 1999 she is saying she will give the money to our kids. But my wife had told me before she passed away the money was for myself included
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for your loss and for this difficult situation.

Unfortunately the law is very clear and your mother-in-law is now entitled to the money and can do what she wants with it. If your spouse wanted you to have the money she had to change the beneficiary to you.

I am sorry this is not at all what you want to hear but I have to tell you the truth and provide an accurate answer of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.