Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have tenants in my house, who are currently living rent

Customer Question

I have tenants in my house, who are currently living rent free! Their rent was due 2 weeks ago. No lease signed, can i just move back in ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you provided them with a notice of eviction?

Are they willing to move out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were a short term verbal 'lease', no lease was signed, cash (with no receipt requested). I have given them written 60days notice (as per law) however they pay month to month and did not pay anything on the 15th of this month. Do i still legally have to let them stay until the end of october even if they haven't paid anything since the 15th of september. Not sure if they plan on moving out, since they are living on my dime right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they stay until october 31 they will be in arrears ($1350.)
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is a shared accommodation? Are you living in the house as well? If so, do they share a kitchen or bathroom with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is a small house, they accupy the whole thing.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then they have no right to stay and must move out within 10 days of your giving the a notice of eviction.

If they do not then you have to apply to the Landlord Tenant Board for an order for eviction.