Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We paid a Moving company $4500 four weeks ago to deliver our

Customer Question

We paid a Moving company $4500 four weeks ago to deliver our household goods to BC picked up in Saskatchewan August 12. They have not acknowledged our requested delivery date of Sept 3, but said they would deliver between Sept 15-17. Can we go to the RCMP and report a theft over $5000? We are seniors and need help
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying they simply did not show up with your things until now and you cannot get them to respond at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. the office led me to believe that their trucks made regular trips across Canada and that they had storage facility in Delta, BC leading me to assume that the two weeks between Aug 12 and possession of o the ur home Sept 3 would be ample time for our stuff to get there and probably not need 'storage', which I only mentioned in case it was needed after Sept 3. The office person told me that as soon as full payment was made our goods would be 'released' which I assumed 'delivered'. When we phoned Sept 3,the truck was still in Saskatchewan. As a consolidated mover, it simply continues to load and unload stuff where they are until they have a full load to allow them to continue west. The truck is now in Alberta (they will not say where) and now say they will put the stuff on another truck coming from Toronto with no stops from Alberta to BC, saying our stuff will arrive (I presume here since we paid for the Ferry cost $850) Saturday or Sunday. We do not trust them knowing they lied several times about delivery date. They have all our money now for 4 weeks and our goods and I am not confident of delivery. Can I get a Sheriff to seize the truck so that we can arrange to get the stuff via another carrier? what can we do?? We are 71 and 73 yrs old and find this so stressful, we can barely manage.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The police will not get involved. This is not a theft. They will tell you this is a civil matter.

What you can do is have a lawyer send them a letter threatening a lawsuit and once you have your things you can sue them in Small Claims Court for damages for inconvenience and any out of pocket expenses you incur.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.