Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a consignment in the UK that is to be airlifted to

Customer Question

I have a consignment in the UK that is to be airlifted to myself in Canada. It does contain cash. If I pay the tax asked for in the UK do I have to pay it again when it reaches Canada?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What is this about?

For example, why would you be carrying cash to be airlifted to Canada?

By consignment, what exactly do you mean?

Why would you be paying tax in the UK if this is your own cash or belongings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fiancé is working in Syria. It is US funds, his earnings. He wanted it transferred here for when he is done his duty. It's packed in a trunk and no proof of taxes paid. They are requesting 10% for taxes before the airlift the trunk to me, through customs.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

That does not make sense. It is not possible to transport cash that way and as well no taxes would have to be paid.

I need to ask you something which you may find strange. But, when you talk about your fiancé have you actually met your fiancé in person and have you had a long-standing relationship with him or is this someone you only met online so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've met him know who he is. I've been dealing with a lawyer by the name of Richard Bauer and he is the one who told me his. The trunk is in Birmingham safety deposit company. He mentioned act 156 decree 217/2001. I am worried once I pay I will have to pay again once it reaches Canada. It will have CAMS with it
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This is not correct though. There is something that is simply not adding up.

You do not pay tax on cash and you cannot import cash in a trunk for the UK to Canada.

You would not have to pay taxes on it in Canada either but you would have to declare it and it could be seized if it is thought this relates to money laundering or terrorism.

But there is no lawyer in the UK that would advise about carrying cash in a trunk and there is no lawyer that would not know that taxes are not paid when cash is taken out of the UK.

I don't know how well you know this fiance but I can assure you that either you are being scammed or he is.

Have you been asked to pay some money to help him?