Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Bean working sinc 1995 was fired on Aug 5 when I got my last

Customer Question

Bean working for co sinc 1995 was fired on Aug 5 when I got my last pay they said there would not be any severac pay. how can this happen?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

It's clear that the company is saying to you that you have been fired "for cause" and that you're entitled to any severance.

Being fired "for cause" is normal when the employee has stolen from the employer, or repeatedly violated the rules of the workplace, or has assaulted a co-worker, or something serious. If you don't know the reasons why the company has fired you, then you should ask in writing and ask for a written reply. They don't have to write back to you, but you should still ask.

If you belong to a trade union, then obviously you speak to your union steward or representative about it and they'll take action on your behalf.

If you don't get any information from your employer about why they fired you, then go see a civil lawyer or employment lawyer near you, and have the lawyer write the company a letter about it. That shouldn't cost much. You've been there for 20 years, so if there's a chance of getting a severance package you should try.

Remember that it's not true that a severance package is due to the employee in every firing or layoff. Even if they should be giving you a severance, they obviously don't want to and so you have to put some effort into making them.

Does that help? If you want to discuss it further then please reply. If I've answered you then please rate the service positively. That's how I get credit from the site for helping you today.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I know that's a lot to digest. Can I make anything more clear? Anything else to discuss about this?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking about your employment issue today. Anything new going on? If you don't need to discuss this any futher, then don't forget about your deposit to the site. You can ask for it back if you wish, or leave it there for a future question.

Ulysses