Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am in the process of cosmetic dental work, two bridges on

Customer Question

I am in the process of cosmetic dental work, two bridges on implants at #4 and and #6 on both sides and two wveneers on #3 on both sides.
One thing I am very upset about was that the preparation for the veneers was against my will, I've asked to be as conservative as possible, only on the front surface, similar as I have already on my right #1 tooth and #2, but Dr. B had no respect to my right for decisions on faith of my teethes, and went full blast as he planned to make it so called 3/4 round which looks like preparation to crown in spite promissing that he will go as conservative as possible. he also said that i was listening to some miths about dental work, which i found very condesending and no respect for me.
After first free visit, the picture of how clients are treated in his office and how the process looks like, was quite satisfying and promising to me. I was assured that the process includes my approval a wax model before final installation of the bridges and veneers.
What happened in fact was a painful process of booking appointments which first of them was additional to the agreed price and frankly didn't bring any benefit to the process except, as i see it, additional fee for him.
Than I discovered that the payments are supposed to be paid in front before booking first appointment.
I came to his office more than 2 months before my important event to be sure that it is possible to fit in with planning of appointments in sequence, to ensure arrival on certain dates with carefully planned stages of this work. I came with calendar marked with availability of my surgeon, myself and your office closure for vacation date to make easier for them to understand all parties availability.
I was assured that everything will be done before their office closure. Suddenly the sequence of appointments was cancelled and reduced to the last minute mess, without any proper approval of final wax model as it was in initial agreement. At that point and time i had a very bad impression how the business is carried out in their office and how I was treated. I couldn’t back out because I’ve already put money at front.
I've requested to see the wax model, saw it and couldn't believe my eyes, certainly it wouldn't qualify to call it "cosmetic dentistry".
I went to the lab to explain to the technician what i had in mind and discovered that non of the initial information from me was communicated to him (by the way I was given a wrong address, just to spice things up for me, I guess). Andy in the lab tried his best, ***** ***** the bridges are not loking as a final work, one is done as if he got the message, but the other piese shape and colour is quite different.
The next appointment - total failure - the temporary veneer on my left canine was stuck, so Dr. B used his all force to remove it, i thought my #3 is going to be pulled out and consequently that area was in pain, swollen gums and the tooth is slightly unstable. probably in two years i will loose it, as it happened with my 1 and 2 about 15 years ago. Than broken veneer , wrong shape of everything , lost screw in the right side bridge, Dr. B states he is doing his best - at this point i thought if this is your best Dr. B -you should reconsider your professional faith. I din't say it though. In his eyes it was my fault that I was delaying things - no i was just consequently protecting my rights to be served as per contact - our agreement at the beginning.
My questions is if i have right to take him to court - and what are the necessary steps, or is there other way to protect my rights in his care.
can i ask him to give my money back, can i not pay him the remainig sum $1600 out of $8500 for total treatment?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

How much did you pay?

How much of the work was done well?

Can you get the rest of the work repaired to make the end product better for you and if so do you know how much this will cost?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had the meeting with them yesterday, they took notes and the work is basically being redone. i dont know if they will charge me more, i already paid $7,000.00, the remaining 1,600 i will pay when finished, however their arrangement was to pay before last appointment. i preferred to pay at the end after i see the final product.i am concerned about the way the dentist make preparations for veneers - he took more than 3/4 of the tooth, while before the procedure i wanted this to be just veneer in front, wrapping slightly around the tooth, leaving entire back of the tooth as is. he promised to be as conservative as possible, and went full blast, removing more then we agreed. even later in conversation with the technician he said "i wasn't as conservative. the remaining part of the tooth is shaped the way that the crown or veneer is cantilevered on the side more than 1/2 if final tooth. i am concern if this tooth will last. furthermore he pulled the temporary veneer so strongly, it felt like puling the tooth to extract it, the next day my gums were swollen and the tooth was painful in the entire socket, and it was unstable. in my mind he didn't have my permission to take so much of my tooth, he didn't explain options, he did't respect my wish for the way of preparation for this veneer. i am very upset about it, he denies any problem with this telling me that he has done thousands of teats this way and was very successful. i frankly don't care about other cases, he was forceful, rood and full of himself when i raised my concerns. he harmed my both #3 teats against my will - what rights i have to seak compensation for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still able to answer my question?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can still answer you but I was asleep when you posted earlier today.

If they are doing all the work you can wait to see the end product is before paying the rest of the money.

If the work is satisfactory then you would pay all that you owe but certainly not more than the original price.

If they want more then tell them to sue you.

At the end of the day, if you didn't get what you were promised then you would not pay them the full amount because you may have to pay someone else to get you to where you should have been or because you may be stuck with less than what you were paying for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for this, i still have remaining question if i have rights to be compensated for his proceeding without my permitting on how to prepare for veneers?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can sue if at the end of the day you can prove you suffered damages and that would be the case if you didn't get what you asked for and were promised.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you !
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.