Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live on a private road with other cottages, I need to know

Customer Question

I live on a private road with other cottages, I need to know what responsibilities I have and what rights I have to use and maintain the road. Last year I had to plow the road out because the contractor didn't come in every time it snowed and I was the only one living on the road.
We need year round access to this road as we will there. Also the Township has said the road needs upgrades to it in case emergency vehicles need to get in and out, do we need to pay for part of this or is it up to the owner of the road to do the upgrades.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Who owns the road and as it sounds like it is not you do you have a registered right of way over the road to access your cottage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the people that owns a cottage owns the road. I am entitled to use the road to gain access to my cottage.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then it is not your responsibility to maintain this road. The owner is responsible and only the owner must answer to the city.

The owner is responsible for ensuring your right of way is not impeded by snow or anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there information that I can obtain to print off and show the owner that I am not responsible for paying for upgrades? Can I legally plow the road if I need to get in or out?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can plow if the access is blocked but you can have the owner reimburse you for the cost.

I don't have any information you can print off unfortunately. I could not readily find anything when I did a quick search.