Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I bought property and wen taking possession realized the

Customer Question

I bought property and wen taking possession realized the carpeting had been trashed between viewing and possession. I believe the sellers realtor realized this had happened and did not disclose before receiving payment for property. They will not/ can not disclose sellers full address. Can I sue the agent in small claims for carpet?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No, you cannot sue the agent as the agent is not the person who had the contract with you. You would sue the seller.

If you cannot find out the address of the seller then you will be able to obtain a order for substitute service. What this means is that you have to prove to the Court that you tried your best to find him and if you can prove that then the Court will allow you to serve him through an alternative way, such as serving his family, the agent, and advertising in the local paper etc.

But, you do need to be able to show your efforts to locate him or the Court will not consider your request.